About the ParkFit Project

About the ParkFit Project

About two summers ago, as I became interested in body-weight/calisthenic fitness I found that New York City lacks an accurate list of its park-based fitness inventory. Performing cursory web searches in the hope of finding a new pull up bar or set of parallel bars may bring you an article here or there about a particular spot, but as of the present moment there is no place to find a comprehensive source compilation of locations.

Through my readings, wanderings and conversations I have begun to find a number of these sites throughout the city and will be documenting them through this blog. My goal is to primarily document park-based workout spots and fitness equipment. All locations will be added as pins to the Google Map contained on the site. I will also add my knowledge of running tracks and other outdoor workout spots that I deem relevant. Information garnered from assorted websites may be used to further provide information to my readers.

While I hope that at some point this site will host a comprehensive review of all outdoor fitness equipment in the city, at the present time the information contained herein will be limited to my personal knowledge which admittedly contains a strict geographic bias to Manhattan. I most certainly welcome all emails and will happily post new verifiable information as it is provided to me.

To health, fitness and pushing limits,

- The Skyhopper








Sunday, January 19, 2014

Columbus Park

 

Hidden at the southern edge of Chinatown near the location of the infamous Five Points neighborhood lies Columbus Park. While the newbies and natives made famous by the film, Gangs of New York have long since left this world, the area is now home to the city's many courthouses and municipal buildings. This park itself stretches from Bayard street down to Worth street and features many amenities including children's playgrounds, basketball courts, soccer fields and of course an adult jungle gym.

This park is often used by workers from the surrounding buildings and institutions looking to get in shape during their lunch break. (see article)

Equipment

The equipment is all attached to one centralized piece, the horizontal ladder aka monkey bar.

Monkey Bar - Roughly 6-7 feet above the ground and spans about 10 feet in length.

Pull up bars - Two bars for doing pull ups. 

Vertical ladder- Great for human flags and hanging leg raises.

Parallel bars - There are two one of which is much lower than the other and may be useful for pushups. Only the higher parallel bar will be useful for dips.

Pole - In absence of a climbing rope this is great for climbing up.

Low Bar- There are also low bars along with the parallel bar which are useful for doing body weight rows.



Ps. I took the above graphic from another website but I can't seem to find the appropriate link. If anyone recognizes where that picture comes from please feel free to post it in the comments so that I may give credit.

No comments:

Post a Comment